About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Harvest & Honey Mama's Nectar Fudge

The bf and I go to this monthly dinner party the first Thursday of every month, well we try to go every month, and this month the theme was "The Harvest". There is no set menu for these monthly soirees and it is not a pot luck where you would be assigned a side dish, main or dessert people show up with food that in this case represent "The Harvest" so you never really know what people are going to bring or sometimes how many people are going to come.
Since the bf and I hadn't been able to go in a couple of months we decided to go this month, so I did some thinking about what "The Harvest" meant to me and came up with the plan to make two loaves of my 18 hour bread. I love this bread it is fail proof and fantastic and looks very artisan and rustic the only thing I like to do on occasion is fold into the bread before baking it are fresh grated Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, a whole head of roasted garlic or maybe all three. This time I made one with garlic and one without. The loaves of bread turned out perfect and I whipped up a yummy spread to go with the bread that I think the hostess just wanted to eat from a spoon.
Spread Recipe 1/2 cup very soft butter 1/2 cup softened cream cheese (full fat) 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning 4 cloves of roasted garlic ( I reserved 4 from baking the whole head I used for the bread) Blend until really smooth the put into a container and chill. Let the spread come to room temperature before using.
Dinner was a success the host and hostess made a super yummy autumn soup with butternut squash and apples, which is now on my menu in the near future, and another guest brought corn on the cob with cilantro, lime and cotija cheese, which was also delicious. Then for dessert, the host and hostess supplied us with chocolate, very smart idea, just some bars of chocolate they had with different flavors, nuts and darkness, but then I spied this little package of fudge so I thought I would try it...amazing, decadent, blissful and seductive I thought all of that in the first bite. The fudge is a local product that so far can only be found in a few grocery stores. The fudge is aptly named Honey Mama's Nectar Fudge and the particular flavor I was savoring was the spicy one. I managed to savor about half of what was on the table. I have already contacted the maker simply to thank her for making this delectable confection. I am very happy to report that they will be carrying this fantastic fudge in my local green grocer that is due to open in 96 hours...yes I am counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment