About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

On The Fly French Toast Bread Pudding

So this morning I wanted something sweet for breakfast, but sadly did not have any buttermilk in the fridge to make my personal favorite buttermilk pancakes and I am not a fan of making waffles...just takes too long. So this morning I switched it up a bit and made a French toast bread pudding using previously frozen homemade dinner rolls. I love these rolls but my eyes are always bigger than my stomach and I always have some leftover that I do not want to throw out because I hate wasting food, so I freeze them with good intentions, and then a month later I throw them out.
Making the bread pudding was easy enough I simply tore up the rolls into bite sized chunks and put into a lightly greased glass casserole dish, you will have to gauge how big a dish you need. The egg mixture was simple 4 eggs, 2 cu. milk and 1/2 cup cream, 1 tsp vanilla, pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1-2 Tlb sugar or if you prefer honey. Mix well then pour over the bread. Press the bread down into the eggs so you soak up the egg. Cover the casserole dish with tin foil making sure not to touch the bread but making sure to tightly seal. Place casserole dish into a roasting pan fill roasting pan with hot water until the water comes half way up the side of the casserole dish. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 40 min. Then remove tin foil and continue to back for another 30-40 min. Remove from oven cut into squares serve with butter and maple syrup. This was a quick and easy way to use up some old rolls that I would have otherwise fed to the bird. It made a nice change to the usual Sunday breakfast fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment