About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

It's Not Rocket Science It's Hummus

I absolutely love Hummus, and I can not think of a more perfect food during warm weather. A cup of Hummus (or rather chickpeas)contains roughly 15 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber with a calorie count of only about 269). Hummus is simplistic in it's components and very easily made at home yet I see it fly off the shelves at the grocery store. Hummus goes on everything from crackers, Pita bread to slices of cucumber and chunks of Feta cheese. Versatile and oh so delicious! Here is how I make this basic summertime staple.
Having a food processor is best but I imagine if you have a blender this could work. You take one can of Chickpeas (drained reserving liquid) and put into the bowl of your food processor, 1 dried chili, 1 large clove peeled garlic, 1 1/2 Tlb of Tahini, 1-2 Tlb of fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste ( I happen to like a generous amount of black pepper), 4 Tlb of Olive Oil, 1/2 tsp Cumin. Put the lid on lock it into place and give it a whirl! Blend it adding reserved liquid if needed to achieve the consistency you desire being careful to not get it too runny.
This recipe is easily doubled and can be quickly put together. You can dress it up with the addition of different spices or heat it up with the addition of roasted red bell pepper or jalapeno pepper or dried cayenne pepper. You can serve it as a appetizer or as part of a main. Delicious, nutritious hummus. You really can't go wrong with this.
I know I covered hummus in an earlier posting, but honestly with the temperature moving beyond 90 today can you think of a more perfect food to have outside with an ice cold glass of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment