About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Almond Lemon Bread

I made this amazing bread/cake last Thursday evening, so it would be waiting for me Friday morning when my self imposed calorie restrictions are put aside for the weekend (I love weekends). This bread went together in minutes and baked for about an hour making the house smell like Christmas. This is not my recipe, but I had to share anyway because it really is amazing and makes buying a half gallon of almond milk, because it is on sale, and making your bf drink the rest on his breakfast cereal except for what you needed for the Almond Lemon Bread completely worth it.
I stumbled across this recipe while browsing through the recipes on Piterest and I saw this amazing looking bread. I had all the ingredients except the almond milk, so I thought I would give it a try. Having never cooked or even drank almond milk I was a little concerned.
For the bread: 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. baking powder 1 cup granulated sugar (take the 2 tablespoons of zest and toss it with the sugar and set aside. 2 tablespoons lemon zest 3/4 cup Almond Milk 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil 2 large eggs, slightly beaten 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon almond extract Combine all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, the mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry blending well. Pour the bread mix into a lightly greased and floured bread pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for roughly 1 hour. Let the bread cool some before running a knife around the sides and removing from pan. Let it cool even longer before drizzling the glaze over the top (You have to have the glaze). 1 cup powdered sugar 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1 teaspoon almond extract 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, for sprinkling on the loaf to make it pretty.
This bread does not disappoint the taste buds in any way shape or form. This is the perfect bread for taking to a dinner for dessert, summer BBQ's or just when you want to have your cake (excuse me bread) and eat it to. Delicious, simplistic and moist. Like I said earlier this is not my recipe and I want to give all the credit to "Two Peas & Their Pod" for this wonderful bread.
Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment