About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Delicious Asparagus

I love asparagus. I don't care how you prepare it I love it, and if you don't watch me I will eat it all. I was not a fan of it when I was younger but then I learned how to cook (somewhere around age 8) and I have enjoyed it ever since.
This recipe came about due to a lonely sheet of puff pastry sitting in the freezer calling to me...no really it was. Honestly though that sheet of puff pastry had to be used before the freezer did its damage, and because I had half a container of whole milk ricotta languishing in my fridge begging to be eaten. I also had purchased a outstanding bunch of asparagus at the market, so I had an idea formulating.
First, pull out that sheet of puff pastry from the freezer so it can thaw. Then wash and snip off the tough ends of the asparagus. Then roll the asparagus around to dry them off a bit with a paper towel. then place them on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Roast the asparagus in a 450 degree oven until almost half way done. Pull the asparagus out and set aside, and turn your oven down to around 375 degrees.
In a small mixing bowl place 1/2 to 1 cup of ricotta cheese (it really depends on how thick you want it), egg white, 1/4 cup Parmesan, a pinch or two of salt, fresh ground pepper, some fresh oregano, basil and rosemary (about a 1/2 tsp each). Set aside.
Unfold that sheet of puff pastry onto a sheet of parchment paper, lightly roll the puff pastry out creating a little larger sheet. Transfer parchment paper and puff pastry to a cookie sheet. Fold about 1/2 inch edge of the puff pastry up. Spread the ricotta cheese onto the puff pastry, keeping the folded edge of the pastry clean. Then take the asparagus and place it on top of the ricotta.
Slide it into your pre-heated oven and bake until the pastry is golden brown. Be careful to not burn the bottom of the pastry.
This delicious asparagus dish goes great with a salad and a nice glass of wine. It is a perfect light dinner, and if you want to reduce the calories you can certainly use part skim or skim milk ricotta.
Have a wonderful long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment