About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wonton Soup with Dumplings

Well it is official Summer is over and Fall has begun. Fall in the pacific northwest usually means copious amounts of rain and yesterdays first day of Fall was no exception. Rain is falling once again in the Rose City. To celebrate the autumnal equinox, Mabon, or as I like to call it Soup Season I break out my pot and get cooking. I love soup it is the perfect food. You can take all your must haves meat, veggie, and starch and put it in a large pot with some liquid simmer and abracadabra!...soup. As a child I always though wonton soup with dumplings was something really magical, so whenever we ate out if it was on the menu I had to have it. This soup is really simple, satisfying and your kids will love it.
Into the bowl of your food processor add 1/2 lb ground pork, 2 o.z. peeled shrimp, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 Tlb. mirin, 1 Tlb. light soy (yes it has to be light), 1 green onion roughly chopped, 1 tsp peeled and chopped fresh ginger.
Pulse until you have it all combined really well. Put meat in fridge for a few hours so the flavors can marry.
Put a oversized teaspoonful of meat on a wonton wrapper.
Seal edges with water. Fold first into a triangle.
Then fold like a little envelope making sure all the edges are sealed and the two tabs are pinched firmly together.
Aren't those adorable.
Here is a tricky part in the recipe...open a box of chicken stock. No I am not promoting Swanson...it was on sale.
Drop your little dumplings into the boiling broth, turn down to a hard simmer and cook them til they are done.
While all that cooking is going on dice up some more green onions.
Sprinkle some green onions on top of each bowl and you're done...that is it. See wasn't that easy.
Trust me it was harder typing up this post than it was to make that wonton soup. I accidentally erased the first draft half way through...see what happens when I do these things at 4:30 a.m. Have a great rest of the week folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment