About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Tired of making Lemonade.

So Katsu went through his neutering surgery with flying colors, but he has has a couple of issues lately that we are trying to sort out...One is well things aren't coming out quite right (if you know what I mean) and that has been going on for some time. It is not a consistent problem but still troublesome, and then the latest is he has been wetting the bed and having a little dribble here and there (which started about 3 wks ago)...sigh. So he has been in had his urine tested and currently we are doing a regiment of antibiotics (broad spectrum)in the hopes that whatever ails him will be found and destroyed, and we won't have to go to the next level. In the meantime however I am keeping track of everything he eats, and when, how often he goes and what, when he is given his meds and which ones, and when we go for walks. This is all very traumatic for the bf and I having lost a dog 2 1/2 years ago, so everything is really still raw and fresh in the back of our minds. Any progress right now I am being cautiously optimistic about...mostly I am just terrified. I will tell you something right now I would happily give up Christmas and my birthday for the next 20 years if it would make him all better...fact.
In the meantime people still need to eat in between me worrying myself sick and making babbling baby talk to my puppy...yes that was me you passed. I made a super simple and easy dinner last night that is so versatile you will find yourself making this many different ways...Honestly anything complicated right now would totally freak me out.
Breakfast Fried Rice Super easy and not just for breakfast. We eat it as a main dish all the time.
Start with your protein. This is one of my favorite options. BBQ pork diced up (about 1 cup or so).
One bunch diced green onions.
Into a bowl or measuring cup measure 1/3 cup light soy sauce (has to be light), 1 Tlb. rice vinegar, 1 Tlb. sesame seeds (toast them if you like), 1/4 tsp. chili flakes (more like 1/2 a tsp.).
Then you will need 3 to 4 cups of cooked white rice. Make your rice the morning before or the night before. Using fresh rice will make it mushy.
Heat (medium heat) a tablespoon of sesame oil in a large skillet and add half the green onions and cook for a couple of minutes.
Then add the rice working it around and breaking apart the little clumps of rice.
Then add the remaining green onions and BBQ pork and keep working it through until hot.
Then add the soy sauce mixture and incorporate it into the rice.
You will end up with this golden brown, fragrant rice loaded with tasty bits of BBQ pork, and green onion.
This recipe feeds two hungry people or three not so hungry people. I love it because you could easily swap out the BBQ pork with any kind of protein...just cook ahead and set aside. You also could add more veggie to this dish with the simple addition of snow peas or carrots or...whatever. Just cook them up ahead and add them in with the addition of the last half of green onions. Originally this recipe called for bacon as the protein and placing eggs on top of the finished dish...honestly I have never made it that way, but it does look delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment