About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Blueberry Cake

Late last summer the bf and I went to one of my happiest places on earth (we actually go there often). I have been going here for the past 19 years to pick berries and buy produce of all descriptions over the years some things have changed, but some things have not. The friendliness of the people who love what they are doing, the welcoming feel you get when you drive into the farm, and the serene peace you get when out in the fields picking berries. I love this place and I am very glad that through the years I have been able to share it with my children and close friends. Last summer we were out to get our annual fix of berries, and last year blueberries were on the top of my list.
Blueberry Cake 101 This recipe is so simple it is scary, yet scrumptious enough to impress friends and complete strangers if you take it to a dinner or potluck...that is if you don't eat it all your self. Nobody has to know that you put it all together and in the oven in less than 30 min.
Into a large bowl add 1 cup of white sugar and 6 Tlb. of very soft unsalted butter.
Cream the two together until fluffy.
Add one room temperature egg.
Add the zest and juice from one medium lemon (fresh is best), and whip it all together.
Into a bowl sift together 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp. baking powder and a pinch of Kosher salt. Into another bowl combine 1/2 cup of whole milk and 1/4 cup cream. Note I did use 2% milk, but I also used heavy cream.
Alternate the addition of the flour and milk while combining in with the butter and sugar until you get a very thick batter.
My favorite part...fold in 2 cups of blueberries. Frozen or fresh either way this is going to be good.
Really beautiful.
Spread batter into a greased and floured 8 x 8 baking dish.
Sprinkle the top of the cake with a mix of cinnamon and sugar before you slide it in to the oven.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for roughly 30 or 40 min. Keep an eye on this cake you do not want to over bake it. Mine took almost an hour due to the fact that I used frozen blueberries. I pulled it from the oven the very second it was done. Cool cake completely before cutting.
Delicious, decadent and seriously delightful this blueberry cake stands alone, of course you could dress it up with a dollop of whipped cream sweetened with some honey or even some creamy ice cream, but you know what you don't need to. This cake was moist and magical all by itself.
Have a wonderful rest of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment