About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Holiday Shortbread

I got one last batch out of my oven before it went to that great appliance heaven in the sky...well one last batch of cookies and one loaf of French bread. I will get a new/used oven this weekend not to worry.
I made buttery delicious shortbread this past Sunday that came out crisp with just a hint of color to it...just the way I like it. Now my shortbread recipe is no secret but the secret ingredient will have people guessing if you don't tell them what it is. Ingredients 1 1/4 cup flour, 3 Tlb. white sugar, 1/2 cup very soft butter (or 1 stick butter. Directions Cream the butter and the sugar together until very well blended and fluffy. This is where you add the secret ingredient. Open up two individual tea bags of double chai tea and grind to a fine powder. Cream this finely ground tea into your butter and sugar then add the flour one 1/2 cup at a time mixing well after each addition
After you get your dough all together I lightly dust a surface with flour and roll it out to the thickness I want and cut out Christmas shapes.
It amazes me just how many little cut outs you can get out of a double batch of shortbread.
I managed to get an army of little short bread men a forest of little Christmas trees and a few handfuls of little snowflakes. I put the little sprinkles and dragees on them before baking. Bake these little gems in a 325 oven until they start to show just the slightest bit of color around the edge...almost no color. These little cut outs don't take long. They really look nice a plate and are the perfect thing to take to a Holiday party.
Yes I did say in the first paragraph that my oven had died, and I am sure you are wondering how I am going to pull off Thanksgiving dinner with no oven...well I guess you will have to come back and see. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving I hope you spend it with the ones you love enjoying each others company.

No comments:

Post a Comment