About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Braised Beef Cheeks

I have to start by saying that I love having people over for dinner I just hate the prep work it takes to get to that point. Getting the house cleaned and all the fussing to make it presentable is no easy feat. The work started on Friday with scrubbing the bathroom, sweeping floors, dusting nooks and crannies and ended Saturday about an hour and half before guests arrived with the putting away of the last of the freshly washed dishes and a quick once over in the kitchen wiping down the counters. The only thing I can compare this frenzied preparation to is getting ready to have your in-laws come to Thanksgiving dinner. Once the food is on the table, and I hear the sighs of appreciation I am golden.
Well the cleaning frenzy may have started on Friday but the main course was actually started on Thursday afternoon. I made Braised Beef Cheeks It is a once a year treat for us and well worth the added effort of making them two days ahead before reheating and serving. This is one of the simplest recipes I have ever made and the results are pure perfection. I have made it and served it the same day and it is really good, and I have made it and let it rest in the refrigerator for two days and re heated and served it, and for whatever reason that really good dish becomes something otherworldly (don't believe me ask the bf). This dish has been known to cause people to lose the ability to speak, but as delicious as this dish is it looks like a hot mess in the pan, so no photos.
Dinner was perfect and after a luscious fall dessert made fresh that morning Mr. & Mrs. T headed out into monsoon type weather content and very full. I guess that is what it comes down to your satisfaction comes at the end when you are waving goodbye at the door ready to drop in your tracks. Special thanks goes out to the bf for knowing and understanding my love/hate relationship with dinner parties and all three of the fur kids (Pixel, Willow and stepchild Lu) for not launching yourselves into anyone's dinner plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment