About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Biscuits 101

Honestly, I used to make the world's worst biscuits. Hard little hockey pucks with no flavor no flakiness even the local birds didn't want them because they were so horrible. It was really breaking my heart because I love biscuits so I decided to re evaluate what I was doing and how I could improve them. In the past, I had always just followed a basic biscuit recipe. Today I combine flavor options to make a beautiful, buttery biscuit that the bf raves over. Making a better biscuit is easy my only suggestion here is use fresh ingredients. The recipe I follow is the Better Homes and Gardens Biscuits recipe with a a couple of options added.
Ingredients 2 Cu. all-purpose flour 1 Tlb. baking powder 1/4 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. sugar 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper 1/2 Cu. Shortening or Butter (I use a mixture of both and sometimes for added flavor I will use 1 Tlb. of bacon grease in place of the butter or shortening) If I really hate myself I will use straight butter. 1 Cu. fresh buttermilk Directions Blend the flour and all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Blend in butter/shortening and mix with pastry blender until you have what looks like crumbs or peas. Pour in the buttermilk and mix until you get the consistency you want. Now if you want to roll out biscuits dough and cut us less milk if you want to be able to spread it into a lightly greased pan (8x8) use a little more. Bake in a preheated oven at about 350 for 20-30 min. depends on your oven. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment