About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Blueberry Crostata

The other day I made a Blueberry Crostata with some frozen blueberries that we picked last summer. It was amazing to say the least and the crust was a thing of beauty.
For the pastry 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cold butter, cubed, pinch of salt, 1 egg yolk, save the egg white in a little bowl, 2 tbsp cold water, To make the dough, put the flour, sugar, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse enough times for the mixture to resemble course crumbs.
Add the egg yolk and cold water. Continue to mix on low until a dough forms. Scrape the dough together and form it into a disc. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the blueberry filling 16 oz of frozen blueberries (make sure the berries have been thawed and rinsed and drained well), 3 tbsp white sugar, 3 tbsp corn starch
To make the filling, put the blueberries in a medium bowl and mix in the flour and sugar and set aside.
Roll the dough out into a roughly shaped disc on parchment paper. If you haven't discovered parchment paper you should...you can thank me later.
Slide the whole thing onto a baking sheet ( I used a pizza pan).
Pile the berries into the center.
Fold the crust up over the fruit overlapping the crust along the way to shape the rustic inside edge. Brush the dough with that saved egg white and sprinkle on some raw sugar.
Pop it in to a 350 degree preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. This dessert is easy and goes well with fresh whipped cream.
My much loved Aunt Martha passed away early this morning. She was seventy nine years old, had spent the last 64 years being married to my rough around the edges Uncle Junior. She had been sick on and off for sometime. I remember one of the last things my uncle said to me...she was here in town at the hospital...He said to me "What the hell am I going to do!? She's been cutting my hair for the last 60 odd years!"...That's love. They weren't the perfect couple, but they knew what it took to make things work. Aunt Marth we are all going to miss you so damn much.

No comments:

Post a Comment