About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Third Time is a Charm

I have yet another upper respiratory infection this would be number three since the end of October. Now I know what you are thinking and saying under your breath "Oh it has been a bad year for colds and flu"...Seriously? Everyone says that every year. I think it is a Gypsy curse...at least in my case anyway.
I made a souffle for the first time in my life last night, and I have come to believe that souffle is French for dirty every damn bowl in the kitchen. I laid out all my ingredients egg yolks in one bowl, egg whites in a separate bowl, spices and flour in a pinch bowl, cream of tartar got a pinch bowl of its own and so on. Anyway you get the idea. My reasoning behind this was since I had never made a souffle before I wanted to have all the things I needed weighed or measured out easily within reach. This method worked liked a charm there were just a ton of dishes to do while the souffle cooked.
I used a basic recipe for my souffle and it worked like a charm. It went together really well and got nicely browned and puffy. It did have to cook a bit longer than the recipe called for, but that could be my individual oven, so keep an eagle eye on yours when cooking.
I served my souffle as a main course last night along with a spinach salad and a slice homemade bread. Since I am currently working on loosing a few pounds it was great... the bf had seconds, but anyone who does a spin class is allowed to pretty much eat anything they want since a spin class burns like 1400 calories. If that was me I would eat cheesecake for dinner and for dessert another slice of cheesecake.
These are only a few of the bowls used in the making of the souffle, none of which were harmed in anyway.
The end result was good. I may have over blended the whipped egg whites into the cheese and egg yolk mixture because I think it could have been a little puffier, but the flavor was rich and delicious and I would definitely make this again.
I have another blog worthy meal coming up on Friday, and maybe one on Saturday who knows maybe I will blog them both. I have decided I need a new crock pot since mine was purchased back during the Dark Ages. Well that is all for me for today back to recuperating and getting over this plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment