About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ameretti Cookies (Not just for Christmas)

This first time I had these delicious cookies was when I a temp receptionist for a major company in my chosen home town. The company had a Christmas Cookie competition and this cookie beat mine out. fortunately for me I was friends with the baker of these tasty tidbits and I got the recipe.
Super simple to make these cookies are a hit no matter where you take them. They are gluten free and nobody will know it because they taste amazing. The flavor for me reminds me of the brown crust on top of a homemade angel food cake not only in texture but flavor as well.
This is my go to cookie recipe when I am having someone over for coffee or tea and I have forgotten to ask them "are you gluten free?" which anymore seems to be one of the standard questions when having people over for any type of food.
Your guests will think you went to a ton of trouble making these delicious morsels. When in all actuality you will have spent maybe 30 min. in the kitchen, which is another reason they are so perfect you can make them up an hour before company comes and they will still be really fresh.
The recipe for these wonderful cookies is: 1 cup granulated sugar 1 (7-ounce) package almond paste (not marzipan) 1 teaspoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur) 2 large egg whites 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, and the mixing and baking directions are as follows: Preheat oven to 350°. Place granulated sugar and almond paste in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until almond paste is broken into small pieces. Add amaretto and egg whites; beat on high speed 4 minutes or until smooth. Chill batter for 20 minutes. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are golden brown. Cool completely on pans; carefully remove cookies from parchment. Cool on wire racks. You can also find this exact recipe at Cooking Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment