About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Toasted Pumpkin Seed Brittle with Cayenne and Vanilla

This brittle is a lot easier than it sounds. It turned out with a nice butter flavor with a little kick. I am sorry there isn't more photos of the process, but since this is a one woman show I have found out it is not easy snapping pictures while stirring a pot of bubbling sugar.
Toasted Pumpkin Seed Brittle with Cayenne & Vanilla 1 1/4 cup toasted unsalted pumpkin seeds 6 Tlb. butter (salted) 1/2 cu. light brown sugar 1/4 cu. Agave syrup 1/4 cu. Honey 1/2 vanilla bean (split and seeded) 1/4 tsp. baking soda 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt 1/8 tsp Cayenne (you could add a pinch more) *I also suggest a lightly greased cookie sheet at the ready and a candy thermometer. Directions In a small pinch bowl put salt, soda and cayenne and set aside. Toast off your pumpkin seeds and set them aside. Keep a close eye on them because you don't want them to burn. Into a non-stick sauce pan (a good sized one) you put the butter, brown sugar, honey, agave and vanilla.
Cook the mixture over medium heat until it reaches a temp of about 280 or so. Toss in the salt, cayenne, and baking soda and stir until incorporated and the temp reaches hard crack stage. Immediately remove from heat and stir in pumpkin seeds until well coated then spread mixture onta a lightly greased cookie sheet to anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 in. thick (I went with 1/4 in.). Place in freezer or fridge until solid then brake into pieces.
I have never made brittle before and my first attempt was pretty perfect and really delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment