About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Braised Pork Hock

So yesterday I made something new for dinner. I had picked up a couple pounds of fresh Pork Hock at my local butcher. Now keep in mind these are not smoked these are fresh pork. I did a simple rub on them and then braised them in a delicious sauce. The bf simply stated that this dish was something he would order in a restaurant.
First you start with some fresh pork hock. I have been told that it is better to have them cut in half to release the goodness inside (thanx for the tip K.B.), but I didn't do that this time.
Into a small bowl combine 2 tablespoon of course sea salt, 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary, 1 tablespoon of dried sage, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
Coat the meat with the rub and let it stand at room temperature for about an hour.
Into another small bowl combine 15 oz. can of tomato sauce ½ cup of balsamic vinegar, 4 tablespoons of honey (optional), 6 garlic cloves, smashed and 4 juniper berries
Put a good brown on the hocks on all sides in a hot pan. I used olive oil but you can use whatever you have on hand.
When the hocks are good and brown transfer them to your slow cooker. If you don't have a slow cooker you can easily do this in a dutch oven in the oven.
Pour that delicious sauce on top and all around.
Put the lid on and set the cook time for 6 hours on high.
Perfect.
The braised hock was served up last night with whipped mashed potatoes and honey glazed carrots. It was really, really delicious.
Well the day is finally coming, my daughter will be moving out soon. I feel really good about it. She is smart and mature and it is way past time for her to be on her own. It is funny though watching her do such adult things, things that I take for granted. She made her first big purchase last night, with very little help from me, and I am glad to say she did her homework, shopped around and got the best deal possible. She also filed her taxes last night for the very first time...wow. That is truly a sign that you have grown up. I know we are both going to enjoy being away from each other and having our time alone is simply that our time alone, but I am going to miss the day to day conversations about work and the occasional bus rides home together after work. When my son moved out he was simply going to go live with his father so it was different and when he got his own place when he turned 19 it seemed very natural, but this is different my daughter has been living with me forever. I know it is good. It is good for me, good for her and very good for our relationship. I just hope she knows that I am here for her and she can come bend my ear when she needs to. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment