About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Friday, July 4, 2014

We call it Jumble Berry Jam

I just picked up and decided to can something about 30 years ago, and it worked out so well that I continued to can things through the years...easy. I didn't think about how difficult it was or how complicated the process. The first thing I just up and canned was a bunch of little jars of apple butter, and I used the inversion method (no longer recommended)and things just turned out. I probably inherited some strange canning gene from the women folk in my family.
Down through the years I have scaled back on canning things and the last few years I do small batch canning. It is really all my small kitchen can manage, or all that I can manage in my small kitchen...take your pick. I prefer canning jam over making freezer jam hands down there is no competition here. I have also found that using the previous seasons frozen berries that the BF and I have picked works fantastic. It also gives me room in the freezer for berry picking the current year. I call it Jumble Berry Jam.
I use liquid pectin for this jam and I follow the directions in the box of pectin to the letter. Canning is like baking there are rules that must be followed for success. You start with a whole lot of delicious berries.
Then you add a whole bunch of sugar. I know it seems like a lot, but you should see what they put in the stuff you buy in the store!
Go on just dump it in!
Add a teaspoon of butter. Some say it reduces foam and I don't know if that is true. I do it cause my Aunt always does it.
I always prepare my canning station before I cook the jam up. This just makes everything so much easier than to be scrambling around trying to accomplish things last minute. So prepare the lids, jars and seal before you start cooking jam.
Once you get the jars filled you are half way home. Make sure you wipe the rims down with a clean dish cloth before affixing the seal and rings.
All ready for a nice boiling hot bath.
Lower them down lid it bring it back to boil and set your timer. It is really that easy.
Maybe it is just me, but there is something supremely satisfying about hearing those lids "ping" when they seal up after they sit on the counter. Makes me feel happy.
Simply delicious Jumble Berry Jam.
I hope everyone has a safe and sane 4th of July! We're staying home and grilling steaks and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment