About Me

My photo
Just a simple gal living on the outskirts of Portland making ends meet. I have lived in Portland for over 20 years and I am happy to call it home. On this blog you will find everything from cooking to my crazy life. I hope you enjoy.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Homemade Granola

When I have the time and the ingredients on hand I like to make some tasty granola for the bf. It is super easy and delicious and you can easily switch out or add to it to adjust it to your tastes or dietary needs.
The original recipe was printed the publication "Eating Well" April 2012 edition. I love this magazine and get tons of ideas from it. Eating Well had done an article complete with recipes that month from a cafe in Ann Arbor, Michigan called Selma Cafe, and my take on the article is that this granola is served up quite often.
I have tweaked the original recipe to suit our tastes. Dry ingredients 5 cups old fashioned rolled oats, 1 cup slivered almonds, 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds. Toss all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil, 1/4 cup honey, 1 tsp vanilla or maple extract and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix the wet ingredients together until well blended then pour over dry and toss and fold until the nuts and oats are well coated. Place all on a large cookie sheet and bake in a oven that has been preheated to 300 degrees check on granola about every 7 to 10 min. turn and rotate the nuts and oats often to your desired toastiness (should be a word). Remove from oven and let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Simple and very satisfying granola for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment